My reasons to start this project:
- The program has a beautiful concept which I would like to preserve.
It is similar to Labview,
it uses the visual programming paradigm and
it is quite easy to develop new visualisations in the OpenDX environment.
- I am aware of other visualisation toolkits:
- I am aware of other attempts to revive OpenDX:
- Bitrot. As there are other visualisation toolkits, sooner or later
the program will not work and it will loose its significance if no
update and development is done with it!
- The program should be a multi-platform program not restricted to
- I chose GTK+ as a GUI platform, because GTK+ was initially implemented
on X Window and it preserved this inheritance so far. This makes it easier
to modify the original code of OpenDX. For example the setup mechanisms
and function calls are similar
in GTK+ as in X Window. The use of Qt would have been too difficult
at this stage as Qt is using a very different concept for GUI. Furthermore
with GTK+ I can run the program natively on Linux and Windows.